Vitamin A Deficiency And Symptoms That We Must Know
Among the many nutrients one highly essential nutrient for the body is vitamin a. This vitamin is a treasure house of health benefits. Our diet plays a very important role in keeping the body healthy and there are several food options that are highly rich in vitamin a. If you are facing a deficiency of vitamin a in the body then you may face some major health issues. Here you will come to know about Vitamin A Deficiency And Symptoms . So, go through the information shared in the coming paragraphs and you will get a clear idea about this aspect.
Vitamin a deficiency
Vitamin a is a great antioxidant and it is loaded with health benefits. It is actually a composition of organic compounds like retinoic acid, retinal, retinol and various pro vitamin A carotenoids. Vitamin A is one of the most essential nutrients that is useful in overall growth and development. Its role in boosting the immunity is commendable and it is excellent for improving vision. It also helps in improving hair and skin texture, preventing cancer, treating infertility, improving cardiac health etc.
Thus, overall it can be summed up that vitamin a is really good for improving the overall health. Vitamin A deficiency is called as VAD or hypovitaminosis A and it actually signifies lack of adequate amount of vitamin a in the tissues and blood. Vitamin a deficiency can lead to serious problems and that is why you should not ignore its importance. Consume foods that are rich in vitamin a and if you are diagnosed to be highly deficient in this nutrient then you must take vitamin a supplements on the recommendation of a doctor.
These are most common symptoms that you will notice in case of vitamin a deficiency –
- There would be persistent infections time and again. This is the most common scenario in case of vitamin a deficiency as the immune system will not work up to the mark.
- One may experience various skin problems like scaly texture, patches, excessive dryness, acne, dullness etc.
- Mouth ulcers and throat related problems are very common in case of vitamin a deficiency.
- Hair texture will deteriorate and the problem of dry hair and dandruff is also very common in case of vitamin a deficiency.
- Night blindness is one of the major symptoms associated with vitamin a deficiency and the other problems can be poor vision, sore eyelids etc.
- Vitamin a deficiency can also lead to growth retardation problem in children.
- Lack of vitamin a in the diet can result in the symptoms like respiratory issues, gastrointestinal problems, dry lips, thick tongue etc.
- Sometimes the cause behind infertility and frequent miscarriages can be high deficiency of vitamin a in the body.
- If you are regularly dealing with the issue of body itching then it may be because of vitamin a deficiency.
So, these are some of the most common symptoms associated with vitamin a deficiency. There can be other symptoms as well. In case of severe deficiency you must follow the advice of an experienced doctor. Sometimes food options will help in the recovery of this nutrient but in excess deficiency you may have to resort to vitamin a supplements.